Sunday, January 3, 2010

matryoshka madness

Today I was having trouble finding a subject which was worthy of shooting. I finally settled on my favorite set of matryoshka dolls, of which I have a modest collection.



A matryoshka doll is also called a babushka doll - Russian for "grandmother". My father was in the Navy and he brought a set identical to this one home from one of his sea duties when I was a child. That set was systematically destroyed/lost by my brothers and myself, but my mother's mom found this set at our local flea market. I fell in love as it held meaning from my childhood.

I also like the fact that it has five little dolls (although you can't see all of them). I like to say they resemble the five generations of first-born women on my matriarchial side: My great-grandmother Hermine, my grandmother Patricia, my mother Julia, myself, and my daughter Betsy.

I did some editing with this particular photograph to make it more interesting. I hope you enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. I love those things, they fascinated me as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are cool! It's such a simple toy but a great one. I have three sets. One set is sailors/pirates...it's really funny!

    ReplyDelete